Friday, May 13, 2011

GZ café: ARC away from ARC

The comfy atmosphere, nice owners and cats make GZ café my favorite café in Shanghai, they also make better coffee than ARC at home.

I first came to this café on the recommendation of my professor and now I can be found here at least once a week. The café is located in a complex called Jing’an Villas, which is a street of distinctive old brick houses that has been renovated and is filled with cafes and knick knack shops. Inside, the walls of the café are lined with cute little arts and crafts. There is a distinct homemade feeling to everything in the café. Everything in the café looks Western, but it is the Asianized Western feel, the best way to describe it would be FOBBY but only ABC’s know what that means. About a month ago there was a new addition to the café with two kittens! The owner recognizes me now and asks me if I will have my usual cappuccino. It definitely feels nice to recognized.

DSC_0037
The Jing'an Villas Complex

DSC_0014
Two small ones are new

DSC_0005
Kittens are adorable

During the winter break when everybody was gone I spent an enormous amount of time here. When I saw the wife teaching a young woman how to bake I fell even more in love with the place. GZ café to me defines what a mom and pop store is all about.

DSC_0030
The scene that made me fall in love with the cafe

In fact I am writing this post in the café right now and I just got asked by a customer for the bill. I may be spending too much time in this place.

-muffinman

More pictures