Sunday, May 8, 2011

Feiyue Shoes

Move over shikumen houses, these Chinese sneakers which look a lot like Converse are my new obsession. Finding where to buy these shoes is as much fun as browsing for them, as there is no large retailer carrying them. Instead, small shops hidden in obscure places are the only places that carry them, meaning that I have to track down these stores online and hear about them through friends. In the past week I have visited three stores, it is like finding a diamond in the rough.

I find the shoes to be a lot of fun with their unique colors and retro design. The company dates back to the 1920’s and the shoes are still made in Shanghai. Now French owned, Feiyue shoes are popular in Europe where they sell for 50 to 60 euros per pair, though in China they sell for 35 to 70RMB ($5 to $10). Of course you get what you pay for and the shoes that are made for the Chinese market are much worse quality with glue visible at the seams and flimsy soles. I have only found one pair French export of Feiyues and the quality difference was quite huge and it was being sold for only 70RMB. Sadly, the French export pair was not in my size.

DSC_0005
High tops for only 38RMB~$6

DSC_0006
You definitely get what you pay for. Notice the glue at the seams.

DSC_0004
My favorite pair which I just found out all my Singaporean friends dislike.

Feiyue’s retro style, Chinese origins and French ownership perfectly represents Shanghai’s character, so do not be surprised to get a pair as souvenirs from me!

-muffinman