Sunday, May 29, 2011

Talking with Grandparents

I am in back in Hong Kong for a six day visit because I am going to go straight home from Shanghai. Mark down July 13th on your calendar because that is when I am coming home.
When I made the decision to go back to Hong Kong instead of going to Seoul, I was under the impression that my grandmother was very sick. However, on the day that I booked my ticket, I was informed by my aunt that my grandmother had just recently gotten over her illness. Nonetheless, I decided to come to Hong Kong because I did not know when I would be able to see my grandparents again.

On my first visit, I was pleasantly surprised by how much my grandfather’s health improved. Just three months ago he needed help to get out of his chair, but now he was getting out of bed all by himself as well as walking quite quickly with his walker. My grandfather looked much more alive and even took the effort to talk to me, best of all when he spoke I could understand him! Much to the frustration of my aunt, my grandfather is using his new found energy to pick fights and boss people around. This news explains why he was repeatedly telling me how useless my uncle was.
As for my grandmother, she seems to have recovered quite well. She is still as chatty as ever and looks to be in good spirits. My aunt tells me that my grandmother has lost weight, but I could not tell, she looks just as good as I remember three months ago.

While talking to my grandparents, I noticed something very peculiar. The conversations I had with my grandma revolved around doing well in school so I could find a good wife and have good kids. She also stressed the importance of not getting married too early (now) and not too late (over 30) as well as telling me to start dating now. On the other hand, my conversations with my grandpa was all about the importance of saving money and being frugal.

Those conversations sure reminded me of my own parents. Funny how history seems to repeat itself, I wonder if I will be the one talking about money to my kids.

-muffinman