Saturday, November 28, 2009

Wine And Cheese Party


On Friday, my good friend invited me to her friend's wine and cheese party. Having nothing better to do that night, I decided to accept the invitation. Once I realized the location was on the Upper East Side, I knew I was going to be in for an interesting experience.

For those back home who don't know what the Upper East Side is, I've conveniently put up the UrbanDictionary definition for you.

Upper East Side:
Streets between 59th and 96th. A lot of rich people live in the area especially on fifth avenue. Apartments in the area usually cost at least 2 million. Many JAPS (Jewish American Princesses) live in the area and go to the one sex private schools around ex. marymount, constance, etc. A book series has been written on the lives of teens who live there, Gossip Girls. A movie is soon to come out.
read the gossip girls series


UrbanDictionary also has a harsher definition you can check out, but I'd rather not put something so vulgar directly in my post.

I got to the house and it was the hugest place I had ever seen. I never imagined that there could be a house like that in Manhattan, but there I was, inside and admiring the elegance of it all (more like wondering exactly how much this family made). The whole place looked like it had been taken right out of a holiday furniture catalogue.

Is this place for realz?

Alright, alright -- it didn't look exactly like the picture above. The living room didn't have a Christmas tree.

But honestly, with the Christmas music playing in the background; the wine, cheese, and crackers delicately arranged on the coffee table; and the firewood crackling inside the hearth, we might as well have been inside a Christmas card, or a snow globe. It was a very surreal experience, and I felt out of place in that environment. As for first impressions, most of the people there had an "I come from old money" air about them. I half-expected a butler to pop out and offer, "More wine Mr. Emoinacloset?"

Tasting cheese samples was fun guys! Now~~ can we get really drunk?

I think I'll lay off on the wine and cheese parties for awhile, at least until I'm 50 and have nothing else better to do than to sit around chatting about politics and the horrid state of the nation. I'll stick to getting blitzed off my cheap vodka and beer for as long as my liver can handle it.

-Emoinacloset