Thursday, September 29, 2011

Happy birthday to me

Last week I celebrated my 21st birthday and much to my chagrin, there was no binge drinking or bar hopping, but it worked out nonetheless.
DSC_0009
Strawberry shortcake from Bijan's, my favorite bakery in San Jose

DSC_0020
That's me

Happy birthday wishes came early this year as my friends in Singapore sent theirs 15 hours ahead of time.  It was a nice touch and a great reminder of how far I have come in just a year.  However, despite it being my birthday, I still had to drag myself to work extremely sleep deprived.  I contemplated working at home but decided against it, a good decision resulting in my boss buying me my first legal drink.  On top of that, my first drink was a blank and tan (half Guinness and half pale ale, they form two distinct layers in the glass!), something I had never had or even heard of before.  Then my boss bought me an Irish car bomb (a mixed shot of Bailey's and whiskey, dropped into half a pint of Guinness) which officially signaled the end of the work day.

Back on the train, I had hoped to party with those strangers but that did not happen when I could not find the one person I knew in the group.  I was a bit disappointed, but I already had my drink of the day from my boss so it did not matter too much.


At home, it was dinner with the family and afterwards, cake with a few old high school friends.  They surprised me by getting me a bottle of Johnny Walker gold label, which I promptly made them all sign (another blast from the past moment).  After cake, the drinking started, and even my sister and dad got into it a little.  My dad even pulled out a bottle of Hennessy  XO  out of nowhere, a big surprise because I had thought I had finished all the hard liquor in the house a long time ago.

DSC_0034
I swear my mom almost cried asking me to take a picture with the family

The conversation frequently came back to our high school days and all the stupid things we did, though most of the stories seemed to revolve around me.  It was a good reminder how much I had grown.  No longer duct taping or throwing people's backpacks in the mud, or asking someone out with a bowl of goldfish crackers.  I can definitely say that I have changed a lot and even for the better.  Compared to my high school self, I am much nicer, understanding and all around more mature.  This is of course to be expected, however, I still marvel at how much I have changed.
DSC_0013
Lighting candles has a particular allure for some people

DSC_0023
Only one good high school friend was missing that night

This birthday had even more significance because it marks my last year in college.  It could very well be the last birthday that I spend at home or even with these same friends.  This party closes one chapter of my life and I can already feel a new one opening up.

-muffinman