Monday, August 8, 2011

Last Lesson in China


During my year in Shanghai, I had accumulated a decent amount of change because I just never got used to the idea of using of change to buy stuff.  All of my change was collected in a cut in half water bottle.  When I left, I think I had maybe 100RMB in change in that bottle and with no exchange it or pack it in my bag I elected to leave it in my room, hoping that whoever took possession of the change would put it to good use.  Little did I know that this was going to happen within the hour.    

The man who came up with me to check my apartment for damages must have felt extremely lucky once he saw the large amount of things that my roommates and I were leaving behind.  He entered my room and started pointing at various items, asking me if I was sure about leaving it behind.  When I said yes to my bottle of change and asked him if he wanted it, he said yes and started grabbing large handfuls of change and putting it in his pocket.  After a few handfuls, I told him that he could take the whole thing, bottle and all but he refused and told me that it would look bad.  I could not help but smile as I walked out of the room and let him finish stuffing his pockets with change. 

Not quite sure how the man thought walking around jingling on each step was going to keep him from losing face.  He even took a pair of shoes as well and hid those in the stairwell before the elevator came up, presumably so that he could get them later when nobody was looking.

So twas on my last day in China that I was taught through example that life is all about face.

-muffinman