Saturday, August 27, 2011

Attending a BBoy Competition

The same week that I came back, my friend Vicki invited me to a BBoy competition. I started to going to competitions with her back during my freshman summer or perhaps it was the senior summer of high school?  It definitely felt cool to be going to competitions even if I did not dance or know what was going on.  Just being at a competition made me feel like I was part of something that few people knew about and even fewer attended.

Fast forward, a couple of years and I have been bugging Vicki to take me to another competition because I have not been to one since my freshman year.  Sadly, even though I had been hearing so much about Vicki's competition successes, I was not going to be able to see it because she was not competing this tournament.  Nonetheless it was good to break out of the usual and go see a bunch of talented bboys and girls.  

This is mostly a picture post:


DSC_0065
Vicki's friend Ian who was really good. Baffling that he did not make it past the first elimination round.


DSC_0085
My friend Vicki who did not compete but still entered the cyphers, which are informal exhibition performances where anyone can go into the circle do a few moves, jump back out and someone else takes their place.


DSC_0137
There is a huge attitude and taunting culture to bboying. Sometimes tensions will run high and fights will break out but most of the time it is just playful teasing.  


DSC_0291
Part of the taunting is trying to get as close to the opponent as possible without touching them. However, as you can see that does not always work out.


DSC_0175
Just a cool picture


DSC_0341
These two teams were in my opinion the most impressive in the competition.  Vicki tells me that the guy on the floor competes internationally.  



-muffinman