Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Travelling with SYB

At 10:50 PM I boarded a train from Shanghai to Fuyang, a third tier city in Anhui province.  On the train with me is SYB’s program director Thomas, SYB’s director of education Cecile and Chris, an employee of the Chi Heng Foundation which SYB works under.  We are going to be running through four cities (Fuyang, Jieshou, Zhoukou, Shangcai) in three days visiting various Chi Heng offices, schools and homes to interview applicants for next year’s SYB class.  Well, when I say we I really mean Thomas, Cecile and Chris.  I am just going to document the whole process with my camera and writing in order to give people an idea of where SYB’s young bakers come from.

I have been looking forward to this trip for a while because I have passed through the countryside many times by bus and train, but this is the first time that I will have the chance to walk through the broken roads and fields amongst the crumbling villages.  Not to mention, I get to enter into the houses of these villagers.  Finally, I get around to seeing how the other half of China lives.