Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Window Into Next Semester

I'll be the first to admit, I haven't exactly been as devoted to the blog as I should be for a number of reasons I can identify off the top of my head.  First off, my main goal was to fill Muffinman and my other high school friends in on the details in my life, since they always complained that I never told them anything.  However, since we started using Skype more often, I stopped contributing to the blog again and let my laziness get the best of me.  Truth be told, I haven't even logged on to the blog in a while, and only briefly skim through Muffinman's posts through my subscription feed reader.  However, my goal for this semester is to re-motivate myself to post regularly and get that momentum that I had when I first started the blog going again.  Now that this semester looks relatively less time-constrained than it did last semester, I don't think this goal is way out of reach.

Unlike last semester I am sad to say I am no longer a Pledgemaster for BAP.  From what I heard of the long night of negotiations and politics after committee elections, it wasn't an easy decision which consoles me to a degree.  Being a Pledgemaster was a huge time commitment, but after being so heavily involved in BAP last semester, it feels a little weird not having BAP be the focus of my life.  I am happy to say though that I am on the Mentoring Committee this semester where I am responsible for the formation of mentoring families as well as overseeing the mentoring program within our professional honors society.  It still means I get that front-facing role and meet a lot of new people which I believe is the best part about BAP.  I also don't have a part-time internship this semester, so now I have more time to focus on myself.

However, with so much free time on my hands now I don't know what I should be doing.  One of the biggest struggles I had last semester was feeling stretched too thin among my various priorities, whether it was school, work, BAP, or recruiting for summer internships.  I was running till 4AM more nights than I should have, trying to get through classes, work, meetings, and homework.  I drank so much coffee that I can say for certain now that I was addicted to caffeine.  If I didn't have my coffee as soon as I got up in the morning or I didn't drink coffee every 3 hours, I'd become lethargic.  At times I hated myself for letting myself become so dependent on my caffeine fix, whether it was a cup of joe or a bottle of diet coke.  I convinced myself it was a necessary evil, but I didn't feel like I was myself without it.  All throughout last semester, if it wasn't one thing, it was another and I did not get a break until Thanksgiving when BAP started winding down, I dropped my internship, and the only thing I had to look forward to was finals.  Finals was a blissful compared to what I had to deal with in the previous four months -- all I had to do was study.

However, it doesn't mean this semester won't be as stressful.  I'm currently recruiting for investment banking positions, and looking at the timelines for resume drops and interviews is giving me a mild panic attack.  Summer internship applications are due by the end of the week, first-round interviews begin next week and second-round superday interviews the week after that.  Starting with the fall employer presentations, I've felt the pressure of getting an internship building up through last semester, and now everything I've done in my college career is going to culminate in whether or not I get an offer for a summer internship.

-Emoinacloset