Tuesday, December 14, 2010

BAP Initiation

We had our Beta Alpha Psi initiation ceremony, pledging season ended, and officially added a 135 new members to our organization last week.  Initiation itself was pretty intense; we had some big people come, like the head of US recruiting for Deloitte, so E-board was even more focused on perfection than they usually are.

This just put added pressure on me, because as one of the pledgemasters, I had to give a speech to the new member class in front of everybody.  Typically it's the chairs who do the speech (I'm just a member), but both of them had class that time so Steph and I had to get on stage to do it.  I was pretty worried about how my speech would sound, but I got good responses from everyone once it was over so I must have done pretty well for myself.  Steph talked about our time as pledgemasters overseeing the candidate process while I focused on the future and their involvement in BAP.  It's a pretty short speech, but still something I feel is worth sharing.

------------------

From the beginning to the end, I have been amazed at the level of dedication and initiative you all have shown throughout the semester, from engaging yourself in becoming ready for the professional world to the enthusiasm you have shown doing community service. I am honored to have served as your Candidate Master. However, your involvement in Beta Alpha Psi doesn’t end here. As members, not only are you now representatives of this organization, but you are the heart of this community. An organization is more than just workshops and speaker events; it is a group of people who collectively share one purpose, one goal.


PAUSE


To give back to the community. An organization is only as strong as the dedication of its members, and you now are the future of Beta Alpha Psi. Armed with the knowledge Beta Alpha Psi has given you, I hope that motivates you to give back, as future leaders, mentors, and members, so that future BAP candidate generations will be even stronger going forward; so that they may have the same great experience that you have had.


-Emoinacloset