Wednesday, August 4, 2010

A Deep Conversation

Last week, I had dinner and drinks with Rene, a friend from NYU who I met last semester in London.  Although she is a rising senior, we got to know each other while we traveled together during Spring Break and have since become good friends.  We were in HongDae -- the college town/party district -- but because it was a Tuesday nothing crazy was going on.

We went to a nice and quiet cafe/bar where we had a couple of drinks and were having a good time when the conversation shifted to our fates -- predicted by a Korean fortune-teller we ran into on the way to the cafe -- and eventually on life.  We ended up having a rather deep conversation and I feel like I gained a new perspective on living life.

What would you do if you knew...
  • You only had one hour left to live?
  • If you only had one day left?
  • If you only had one week?
  • How about one month?
  • A year?
I told Rene that I'd scream or shout out loud with one hour left; with one day, I'd punch someone in the face.  I said this last one with a sheepish grin (definitely influenced by my love of Fight Club, the movie and the book) while Rene was shocked that I would spend my last moments doing something so harmful (she was raised as a Buddhist), but honestly it was the first thing that came to mind.  Reflecting back, I probably said this because I would have been frustrated -- about what, I'm not exactly sure -- but screaming out loud or punching someone in the face feels like something I could do in that short period of time to relieve some of that frustration.

With a week left I would try to meet anyone who has ever mattered to me face-to-face so that I could see each of them one last time and to tell them thanks for everything; for being there with me and for having an impact on my life.

I don't remember what I said if I had a month, but with a year I said I wanted to travel -- specifically somewhere in South America, Africa, or Southeast Asia.  Either that or it would be cool if I got to climb Mt. Everest.

The reason to ask yourself these questions is to discover where your priorities lie.  The things you want to do during the shortest amount of time are the things most important to you, and as the time you have left increases you have the flexibility to include more and more of your lower priorities.  Rene pointed out that there are a lot of people who procrastinate on these priorities and make excuses, saying 'Oh yeah I'll get to it eventually;' but time flies and before they know it they have missed all these opportunities.  The point is, why do people put off their priorities if they really are that important?

How would you answer the above questions?  Discuss.

-Emoinacloset