Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Saying goodbye to my first job

The Friday before finals week I said goodbye to my first real job and with it came mixed emotions.

Overall, it was a great first job experience.  I learned a lot about television on my short 7 month stint, especially about community stations.  The bottom line is that community television is completely under funded and that people actually do watch public broadcasting, which was definitely news to me.  Though I messed up a lot and I was forgiven for it, well mostly forgiven.  I swear the secretary still holds a grudge against me for messing up so many DVD orders before finally getting it right consistently.  My boss was super understanding and had a great sense of humor.  Also she forgave me for my first innocent blog post about work.  From my coworker who works behind me, I heard many fascinating stories about UCSD and also a lot of not so interesting and rambling stories.  On top of all that the pay was great for the amount of work I was doing.

Wednesday before finals week was actually my last day, but Friday was the day that I picked up my last paycheck and said goodbye to my coworkers.  Christina, the girl who I replaced, after three years on the job, earned herself a farewell office lunch and even tears from one of her coworkers.  On the other hand, my meager seven months got me some hugs and  few sincere goodbyes.  There was a definite difference between how close I was to the office compared to Christina, which was to be expected.

As great as work was, I am glad to be leaving.  Towards the end of this quarter, I felt that I had gotten everything I could out of this job and that it was time to move on.

Next stop LA!

Some pictures of the office:
DSC_0081
An is my coworker and she also hates it when I take pictures of her.

DSC_0016

DSC_0015

DSC_0012
Look at all those Emmys in the display case.  The San Diego Emmys that is.

-muffinman