Sunday, April 4, 2010

Day 1: Beer. Day 2: Beer. Welcome to Dublin!

Note: Although I wrote this today, after a week or so I will change the date to when I actually came back from Dublin, 3/20. If me, or anyone else reads this post in the far future, I want to make sure I remember what dates I travelled so I can remember it as accurately as possible. @Muffinman: no, this isn’t because I want to cheat on our post wars.

Going to Dublin on St. Patrick’s Day was a great decision. Even though I had two essays due that next week, I knew that I couldn’t miss it – besides, my friends had been bitching at me for ditching them when they went to Paris, Stonehenge, Scotland, and Berlin so I couldn’t let them down this time (It’s so tiring to be loved so much). Right after class ended on Wednesday, we rushed to the airport so that we would make it on time to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day the way it should be celebrated – by drinking.

IMG_2278
The Crowne Plaza Hotel: Nice rooms, sucky location.

We got kind of screwed in booking accommodations for Dublin. Instead of getting a place in the city center, we ended up at a hotel that was 40 minutes away by transportation. Every time this happens, I am reminded of just how important location is when travelling and visiting a city. The girls loved it of course, because they could enjoy their showers and soft beds, but I felt it would have been more worth it to get a place in the city, considering the time it took to get to the city center as well as the money we spent on public transportation.

Nonetheless, I enjoyed our trip.

IMG_2285
The crowd on St. Patrick's Day

IMG_2292

IMG_2291
Irish staples: Guinness and Jameson

IMG_2290

IMG_2295

IMG_2305
Battle cry: Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!

The next day we all woke up late. The late festivities of the previous night and our lack of planning (always an issue) meant we were going to the only place that had been repeatedly recommended by everyone who had gone to Dublin -- The Guinness Storehouse.

IMG_2339
Highlight of our trip

IMG_2349
A sea of barley

IMG_2359
Hops

IMG_2362
Secret yeast in the secret safe

IMG_2364
Waterfall

IMG_2376
Beautiful words

IMG_2393
Amen brother, say it again!

IMG_2411
Barrel-making section

They had a video on the entire barrel making process – it was pretty amazing how the coopers were able to make barrels by just eyeing the measurements. It was intense and it seemed like hard work. I am going to appreciate old-fashioned barrel-making more now.

IMG_2400
Guinness sampling area

This is the best part of the museum. At this station, we were allowed to sample the Guinness beer and taste it in the correct way. They even had step-by-step instructions to maximize our taste experience. But hey, free beer is free beer, right? I ended up taking four samples of the stuff; I know I definitely enjoyed my taste experience.

IMG_2434

But then they went over the top. With our entrance ticket they also gave us a complementary drink at their “sky bar” which was on top of the building and provided a 360o view of Dublin. Jim said, “This is the best museum in the world”; I have to agree with him.

We were supposed to get up early the next day and take a bus to Harry Potter Cliffs where they filmed the Dumbledore/Harry Horcrux scene in the sixth Harry Potter movie, but unfortunately we just missed it in the morning. Instead, we went a little ways away to Howth, which also had cliffs of its own. I was fine with it, but some of the more die-hard Harry Potter fans in our group were still upset. Howth was still beautiful. Ahh to be back on those Irish hillsides...

IMG_2490

IMG_2499

IMG_2525

IMG_2536

IMG_2539

IMG_2541

IMG_2542


-Emoinacloset