Saturday, November 14, 2009

Yes, I am still alive

Seeing as how nobody has posted anything on the blog, I am just going to do a quick update entry. What happened to emoinacloset? He is always the one blogging and the one who inspires me to write a post. I guess the roles are just going to be reversed this time.

My life this week in no particular order:

1) I did pretty badly on my first econ 100A midterm, so I was pretty determined to do well on the second one. My studying started a whole three days before the midterm. I pretty much followed the studying plan I had set up for myself, I was just a little behind. Come Friday, I was very prepared and just destroyed the midterm. I knew how to do everything except for one problem. Not going to lie, I consistently amaze myself with what I am able to achieve once I apply myself. It makes me wonder why I did not take just a little more time studying for the last midterm.

2) Wednesday, which was a holiday for us public school kids, I spent three hours doing jiu jitsu. That day was great, as I was rolling (sparring) with people around my level. I got submitted a couple of times but I always came back the next round and tapped them back. My love for this art just keeps growing the more I do it. Jiu jitsu gives me focus in life and reminds me at times of academic distress that I do not suck at everything. I see myself doing this for life.

3) My anthropology midterm came back this Thursday and what a pleasant surprise. I thought I bombed it but turns out I just got a B, which with the amount of studying I put in, is actually really good. I credit the blog for helping me out with this midterm because it has improved my writing. Back to anthro, I am 99.99 percent sure that I am going to get an A in this class. After the midterms were handed back, the professor announced that anyone who got a bad grade, which he defined as a C or lower, could go to his office hours to retake the midterm and on the final, which is take home, if you write more than the recommended 7-8 pages, the extra pages will be used to boost your midterm grade. So yeah, I love my anthro class and my A count for this quarter just went up.

4) The deadline for study abroad is coming up, and I have not really done much besides choosing a program. I am a bit nervous about this as I really really want to meet up with emoinacloset in Shanghai and the program I chose does not have a 100% acceptance rate. There are 14 spots and last year 18 people applied, meaning the odds are pretty good. I am still trying to get to know my professors in order to get a decent letter of rec. Actually it is not really a letter of rec, but more of a questionnaire that takes 15 minutes tops. I still need to write my statement of purpose, which I am trying to get perfect. Bottom line, after this other econ midterm on Monday, I am going to devote my life to the study abroad application.

5) I start my job on Wednesday and I am very curious as to what the fuck I am going to be doing.

6) Windows 7 is amazing, and I mean VERY AMAZING. I wiped my whole hard drive and even put in a second solid state hard drive, on which I put Windows 7. The boot up time and the speed of this OS is just crazy. Best part is that Windows 7 was free! At first, I tried to get it for free from the upgrade program that Asus was having, but when I tried to email Asus my proof of purchase, my email was rejected because their inbox was full. Then Kevin told me that UCSD was running an event where they were giving away Windows 7 professional keys. Needless to say Kevin and I jumped on that shit and totally abused the giveaway. We came out with 5 keys between us. If you can get Windows 7, do it immediately.

-muffinman

2 COMMENTS:

Life After ARC said...

you use my real name in 4). and good to see you've been doing well. I'll try to write a post soon. I got a bit lazy but I'll get around to it sometime

-Emoinacloset

Anonymous said...

jiujitsu4lyfe.

all jiujitsu reminds me of is, "yes, you really do suck at everything"

Post a Comment