Sunday, January 15, 2012

2012 New Year's Resolutions

When I heard that Jeanni and her friends were making up new year's resolutions for each other, I thought that was such a great idea that I promptly took it to the coffee group.

After some lively conversation,here's what we came up with:

Robocop
Find a hobby and stick with it
From Kungfu to dancing, Robocop's past is littered with abandoned pursuits. No hobby or interest ever seemed to stick except perhaps watching Youtube videos. That is why Emoinacloset and I decided it was important for Robocop to find a hobby this year. Not to mention, it would be better for his health and make him more interesting.

Find 3 viable career interests
It used to be that if I asked Robocop what he wanted to do after college, he would noncommitally reply with medical school. Now he has regressed to having no clue about the future, a problem with graduation coming up. Over the year, Robocop resolves to find three viable career interests, and by viable, I mean something that he could actually see himself happily doing.

Discover pride in himself
A couple of months ago, Robocop told me that he was not happy with who he was because he was not living up to his potential. I was a bit taken aback when I heard this because he had quite a few enviable accomplishments under his belt. It quickly became apparent that Robocop's problem was not his lack of achievement but rather his inability to appreciate them. The last and perhaps most important resolution for Robocop this year will be for him to find pride in himself.

Emoinacloset
Find a girlfriend
It is hard to believe that Emoinacloset has never had a girlfriend in his life. The last year of college seems like the best time to get past this milestone. Next new year's day we hope to see Emoinacloset spending it with a significant other. Of course resolving this will depend on his next resolution...

Learn to be vulnerable to others
Last year, we learned from Emoinacloset that he has a hard time opening up to others. This was of course no surprise given how whenever we talk about feelings in the coffee group, Emoinacloset has little to add. What was a surprise though was that this inability to be vulnerable was the reason for why he was still single. Leaving one's self open to getting hurt is not easy, but Emoinacloset is getting a whole year to figure it out and we are sure he will.

Find a hobby and stick with it
For the same reasons as Robocop. This resolution is even more pressing for Emoinacloset because he has never really pursued any interests.

Develop skill that would be useful for adventuring
Over the break, we spent an extraordinary amount of time together, which led to some lively debates about what skills we would bring to the group in the event of a zombie apocalypse or Tin-Tin like adventure. Robocop had the EMT skills and I had the martial arts and weapons! Emoinacloset on the other hand, even after much soul searching could not come up with anything.

In order for this coffee group to go on adventures like treasure hunting, Emoinacloset is going to have to develop a practical skill this year. Personally, I am hoping he learns Arabic because I would love to treasure hunt in Egypt.

Muffinman
Learn to be alone
If you know me even a little bit, you will notice that I am rarely alone. The reason being that I absolutely cannot stand being by myself. My day just does not feel complete unless I have had some significant human interaction. I have been told by the coffee group that this is not healthy, which is why they stuck this resolution of "Learn to be alone" on me.

Find a girlfriend
Because this shows up every year and every year it never happens.

-muffinman