Friday, June 25, 2010

Amateur MMA

The Saturday after the Internship Kickoff, I attended an amateur MMA fight card with my new apartmentmate, which I had heard about on facebook from someone in the UCSD muay thai class. This was going to be his first MMA fight. I am not sure why he thought that he was ready to fight when he was just training with friends. During winter quarter, I had sparred with him in muay thai and he could not touch me, and the same thing happened when we rolled in jiu-jitsu. So it came as no surprise that he lost his fight, the only surprise to me was that he did not get knocked out.

The rest of the fights ranged from bad to decent. It went to the ground too often and there was always a large discrepancy in grappling skill between the two fighters. However, the skill difference was never enough to end the fight, so what ended up happening fight after fight was that someone would just lay on top of the other guy for the whole fight. In addition, there were only three 2 minute rounds which is a lot shorter than the usual 5 minute rounds I was used to. The short rounds and lack of a submission game made all but two of the eight fights end in a decision.

Overall, it was worth the $45 dollars that I paid for "ringside" tickets. I put ringside in quotes because the whole venue took place in a community center/gym where it was so small that anywhere you were was basically ringside.

Pictures of the event

20100620-DSC_0029
Game face on.

20100620-DSC_0448
This is pretty much how each fight went.

20100620-DSC_0236
That guy I know.

20100620-DSC_0347
Story of his fight.

Amateur MMA Album

-muffinman