Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Vatican & Wishes At The Fountain

4/2; Day 9; Rome, Italy

IMG_3527

We visited Rome during Easter weekend, which meant the city was packed with tourists. We were in line for at least an hour to get into anything as if each of the sites were rides in an amusement park we had to wait for.

For example, even though we got to the Vatican at 8AM to get in, we still waited a good hour in line. Once we got in, we spent the whole morning at the Vatican museum, but warning to everyone who goes, they trick you! All I wanted to see was Raphael's "School of Athens" and the Sistine Chapel, but we ended up having to go through a maze of halls filled with Egyptian mummies, Roman sculptures, and tapestries. The whole time, I was thinking to myself, why isn't the Sistine Chapel coming up? There were signs that said "Sistine Chapel -->" in every room, teasing me into thinking it was going to be right there. Well, it never was. I spent four hours in the Vatican Museum because of it, and by the time I got there I was so tired I couldn't even enjoy it to the fullest any more.

Still, we managed to see a lot of Rome, despite the fact that everything is spread out. By far my favourite monument in all of Rome was the Trevi Fountain. I think I'm drawn to the sound of running water; there's just something about it that's so calming and peaceful. They say if you throw a coin into the fountain over your left shoulder, a wish to come back to Rome will be fulfilled -- hopefully my wish will come true and I will have another chance to visit Rome.

IMG_3519

IMG_8137

IMG_8158

IMG_8172

IMG_8169

IMG_8168

IMG_3697

IMG_8216

IMG_3717

IMG_3722

IMG_3726

IMG_3731

IMG_8383

IMG_8397

Additional Pictures

-Emoinacloset