Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Today, I Got S*** On By A Bird

3/26; Day 2; Istanbul, Turkey

IMG_2745
Terrorizing foul beasts!

What a terrible way to start off Spring Break. It happened in the Grand Bazaar where there are thousands of shop owners trying to sell their goods: everything from traditional tapestries, clothes, and normal touristy souvenirs. Meanwhile, a bird pooped on my face. My friends say it’s lucky to get shit on by a bird, but how lucky can you be if you get shit on by a bird? The bomb hit me in my right eye and over my glasses. Thankfully, the laughing shop owner next to me gave me a couple of wet wipes and some tissues to wipe it off, but damn that was unfortunate. Good thing it was towards the end of the day, or else my entire day would have been ruined.

Crime scene

But back to the beginning, before I knew this was going to happen. We started our day early to go see the Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sophia which were conveniently located right across from each other.

IMG_2566
Glimpse of Istanbul

IMG_2573
The Blue Mosque on one side...

IMG_2580
...and the Hagia Sophia on the other

IMG_2576
And salted corn in the middle! Super delicious

We first went to the Hagia Sophia, originally an orthodox church during the Byzantine Empire, converted to a mosque during the Ottoman Empire, and now remade into a tourist haven. After trying out the precursor to chicken and rice for lunch, we headed to the Blue Mosque to check it out.


IMG_2604

IMG_2608

IMG_2610

IMG_2611
Ceiling

IMG_2630
Virgin and Child mosaic

IMG_2631

IMG_2632

IMG_2638
Wish Column: Ability to cure all ailments, including simple-mindedness

IMG_2650

IMG_2655
The lodge of the empress where she watched the service

IMG_2660
Jesus mosaic

IMG_2665

IMG_2673
The original chicken and rice: does not measure up to New York's

IMG_2677
Blue Mosque

IMG_2678
Requirements to get inside the mosque

IMG_2679

IMG_2683

IMG_2687

IMG_2699

Blue Mosque, Inside
Vertical Panorama of the Inside

IMG_2704
Another Bazaar-esque place near the Blue Mosque

IMG_2703
An array of hookah pipes

IMG_2717
The Basilica Cistern

IMG_2728

IMG_2730

IMG_2738
The Grand Bazaar; also where my unfortunate incident occurred

IMG_2739

IMG_2743



-Emoinacloset

1 COMMENTS:

Life After ARC said...

Enough with the photos!
I want to hear about your feelings.

-muffinman

Post a Comment