Saturday, February 20, 2010

Paris, Je T'aime

My family came to London this week to do a little sightseeing here as well as in Paris. None of them have ever been to Europe, so naturally they were super excited ever since they started planning the trip back in December. Visiting me was an additional plus. I supposed they remembered me after all, because we went to Paris together after they took the first half of the week to tour London.

Paris was amazing.

It was everything I had hoped for and more. After studying French for four years in high school and learning about French culture -- from baguettes to Julia Child, from paintings to Monet, and from La Tour Eiffel to Les Champs-Elysees -- I would finally be able to see these great French artifacts with my own eyes. I will tell you now, my favorite part of the trip was going to Le Musée d'Orsay and admiring the paintings of Monet, Renoir, and Van Gogh among others, which I had before then only seen on the Internet or in prints. I wanted to see everything, yet at the same time be able to truly appreciate each painting. Unfortunately, at the most inopportune time my camera ran out of batteries -- was it too much to ask to want to bring my memories back with me? As I left France, all I could think of was how studying abroad in France would have been so much more fun than being in London and eating shitty food.

After writing my last sightseeing post of Stonehenge and Bath, I realized what I had written was too long. I wanted to fit in too many things, and in the end it became too incomprehensible; even I didn't want to bother to make sense of it. Instead, I will post my trip in multiple installments. Hopefully, this will make my trip more digestible as well as allow me to create suspense for the next post! I can also be more detailed on my experiences since I do not have to pack my trip into one post that goes everywhere, yet nowhere at the same time. So stay tuned -- I will probably starting posting picutres of Paris soon.

Here's a preview: My parents forced me to do all the talking with the locals because I still "remembered" French from two years ago. Franglais, anyone?

-Emoinacloset