Wednesday, January 27, 2010

First Impressions, London

St. Paul's Cathedral

Everyone else has gone to Paris for the weekend except for me. I didn't want to go because my parents are going to come to Europe in two weeks and we are going to visit Paris together. I am basically going to have to fend off boredom by myself, not that there isn't a lot to do. Not only am I behind on my reading, I also need to set time aside to explore the city!

After spending about two weeks here I think I've got the general idea of London. To neatly sum it up in one equation:

London = New York - "open late" - "good cheap food" + "nice buildings"

In other words, even though I will starve and be broke in London, thank goodness it's pretty to look at.

Food is pretty expensive. To get something decent you need to shelve out a good chunk of money. Although there are some really cheap places nearby, the food there is terrible. For example, we were craving some Chinese food so we went to a place called "Chop Chop Noodle Bar". There were Chinese people inside so we thought it was legit, but I guess they were there either because of the low prices or because they've forgotten what Chinese food is supposed to taste like.

Thus, giving up on finding decent cheap food near our dorm, Jim and I have resorted to going to McDonald's almost everyday, diversifying our culinary adventures with a dash of Burger King and KFC.

However, it's nice to be in a new city, even if it's inconvenient I don't know where all the good places are. There's lots to explore, lots to do. Besides, I fully expect myself to lose 5-10 pounds by the time I come back.

-Emoinacloset




P.S.: By the way Roger, you were right; that Tesco vodka does look mad sketch. Too bad we didn't heed your warning and got some anyways.

Future harbinger of bad nights

Besides the Tesco vodka, someone was able to find some even sketchier stuff. For less than three pounds, we got a two-liter plastic bottle (yes, like those soda ones) that was 7.5% alcohol. Too bad it tasted awfully like bitter, watered down champagne. Thank goodness we all agreed never to buy this stuff ever again.

WTF is this?

1 COMMENTS:

Life After ARC said...

That Tesco vodka reminds me of the safeway one. 15 dollars for a handle anyone?

- muffinman

Post a Comment