Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Can I get that laptop with the guilt accessory?

Just yesterday I got another laptop to replace the really crappy one that I started college with. I worked out a deal with my mom where I trade in my old laptop and netbook for 900 dollars towards the new laptop. So what laptop did I get? The best bang for the buck gaming laptop that I could get my hands on of course! Forget practicality, I got this huge 15.6in Asus G51 that has less than 2 hours of battery life because it plays any game I want right now and for the for see able future. Needless to say I ran over budget by about 250 dollars (damn 10% sales tax).

Now my family has been sort of a tight spot financially ever since my dad lost his job. Due to a serious of misfortunes and blunders he now works out of a necessity for a company that pays him a fraction of what he used to make. So already I felt a little guilty for splurging on something so unnecessary. When I got home with my new laptop, I felt guilty to the point of numbness. I was contemplating whether or not to take it back and get something more practical (but probably equally as expensive).

The guilt bomb really dropped the next day. I thought my mom had worked it out the laptop deal with my dad but surprise surprise she did not. My dad did not even realize that I had gotten a laptop until last night when I was playing on it right in front of him. And boy was he angry, suddenly the whole room went silent as he asked how much it cost. I dreaded telling him that it cost $1050 and braced myself for the inevitable backlash. As soon as my dad heard the price, he repeated it in a tone where I knew I was in trouble. He then proceeded to loudly exclaim "(in Cantonese) I can barely put food on the table and I am not even making the mortgage so why would you dare buy something like this!" I responded to this with silence, what could I have said?

After the conversation, I immediately pledged to find a job for myself back at school and repay the $1147.11. This post is my promise to myself that I will get that money and pay my dad back before the school year ends. My mom tells me she let me have this laptop because she wanted me to be happy and that I deserved it, but I am not too sure. I know I deserve it when I get the money.

Wheres that fucking book deal for this blog when I need it?

Resume in hand,
-muffinman

1 COMMENTS:

sarahyangg said...

aw.
you should try shuttle driving with me!

Post a Comment