Tuesday, September 1, 2009

71 Irving Place Coffee and Tea Bar; In Other Words, Starbucks Is So Cliché

Today I missed the bold flavor of a good cup of coffee. That and I felt like I was going to fall asleep if I didn’t get my caffeine fix so I decided to go to this café near my dorm. The main reason I wanted to come here instead of elsewhere was because it had free wi-fi, but the rave reviews on the coffee were so good I had to come here and see what all the hype was about.

It’s a small place, but the ambiance is everything you’d ever want in a coffee shop – that or it was the realization of what I’ve imagined a coffee shop should be. Unlike Starbucks and its corporate-ized ambiance (coughCLICHÉcough), this place felt cozy. The smell of fresh roasted coffee beans as I walked in and the coffee/cream-colored walls made me want to stay here forever.

The chairs and tables were pressed up against each other, but it wasn’t crowded in the “fuck when am I getting out of this elevator” feeling you get sometimes when the elevator’s cramped. You feel like you’re part of a community of coffee-drinkers, who don’t come because drinking coffee is the “in” thing to do or because you really like the taste of sugar in those frappachinos. Coffee can awaken your senses and inspire you or it can taste as bitter as life sometimes can make you feel. Coffee isn’t a necessity, yet we still drink it not for the pleasure of drinking coffee for itself, but for the experiences we gain when we do drink, whether it is with a couple friends or just alone by ourselves.

The never-ending conversations between the people around me, the upbeat jazz music in the background, the click-clack of laptops typing away, and the occasional schlepping noise the espresso machine made all added to my own experience. The coffee-of-the-week I got was made by beans imported from Kenya, which tasted different from anything I’ve had before. The flurry of people walking in and out of the shop made my own stationary position feel more dynamic as I continued to sit and type away, watching the different people that came in the café.

I felt inspired by this coffee shop today. Perhaps I’ll bring people here and have coffee talk with them just like I did back home. I think this is now my new, favorite, go-to spot for when I need some time to myself.

-Emoinacloset

2 COMMENTS:

Life After ARC said...

damn wish I was in New York
-muffinman

x0ashley said...

It's fun to find those places to go to just to sit around and think by yourself. Glad you found such a place in a nearby coffee shop! Very fitting. :P
x0x0-ashley

Post a Comment